Celebrating our city through exploration and creativity!
¡Qué Viva Quito!
Quito, UNESCO World Cultural Heritage Site, invites all members of Academia Cotopaxi to interact with its beauty and explore its treasures. How do we celebrate our city?
Quito, the beautiful city that hosts us, celebrates its foundation every December 6. We know that we live in a wonderful place. The gorgeous weather, the scenic mountains, the brilliant skies, the gastronomic possibilities, and the diversely beautiful architecture feed our senses in magical ways. And then, of course, there are the amazing people of Quito who are known for their happiness, their kindness and their welcoming attitude.
Students in grades PK-5 will represent their learning on December 5, following this schedule:
- PK-K: Will enjoy the “AC Plaza Quiteña” with parents from 10:15 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Gr. 1-3: Flamenco performance in the auditorium from 8:15 a.m. to 9:10 a.m.
- Gr. 4-5: In front of the auditorium from 9:15 a.m. to 10:00 am.
This allows for ALL children to learn about the people, the traditions, the culture, the games, the flavors, and the history of Quito through different experiences filled with joy.
Home Learning Invitation: Celebrate Quito, its people, its plazas, its culture, its traditions...
We ask that each family send us one photo or illustration that represents what is special about Quito to your family. Select something you would share with visitors to celebrate what Quito means to you. This can be something you see everyday or something that is a special image.
Send the photo to: Nardy at email@example.com with the completed caption: When you come to Quito we will show you this because______________.
Your photo and caption needs to be sent to us by December 3, so that it can be printed and prepared for display. The giant Quito photo collage will be shared with our community on December 5.
Regardless of where students are from, reaching deeper levels of understanding and appreciation for the city where we live, is enriching. So we encourage you to find time to explore your own neighbourhood, or new neighbourhood and find opportunities to get to know Quito better. You can enhance this learning by taking trips to museums, visiting historic neighborhoods,exploring a new playground, listening to music, looking closely at old buildings, noticing the birds or other animals, driving around to view landmarks… the opportunities for learning are endless!
Below, we describe the Quito focused inquiries that children will be engaged in at school:
- PK-K: How can we observe using our senses? - Plaza Quiteña
- Gr. 1: How is culture expressed through dance? -Traditional and Modern Andean Dance
- Gr. 2: How is culture expressed through music?-Cultural Heritage & Song
- Gr. 3: How is culture shared through oral traditions? - Quito Folktales
- Gr. 4: How do we learn from people in our community? - Traditional Quito Characters
- Gr. 5: How can we honor a place through experiences? -Project Exhibit After Visit To La Ronda
So, enjoy this opportunity and celebrate with us! Viva Quito!!!
Paola de Pereira
Elementary School Principal